Latin name: Allium cepa.
English title: Onion.
Family: Onion — Alliaceae.
Common names: Table onions.
Botanical description: makes no sense to describe in detail the onion, because it is grown in any garden, we'll find it in stores and vegetable for every kitchen. There are summer and winter onions. Summer onions are likely to come from Asia. The Romans brought it to Central Europe, where he quickly caught on. Winter onions, apparently, comes from the south of Siberia. In contrast to the summer, he is less afraid of cold, and the taste milder. From these two forms has hosted many varieties of onions, which differ in size, color and taste of onions.
Active ingredients: onions contain 8-14% of sugars (fructose, sucrose, maltose, polysaccharide, inulin), proteins (1.5-2%), vitamins (ascorbic acid), flavonoids quercetin, enzymes, saponins, mineral salts of potassium, phosphorus, iron, etc., volatile. In green leaves of onion also contains sugar, protein, ascorbic acid. In the bulbs and leaves of a volatile oil, which gives them a peculiar odor and pungent taste, sulfur compounds, iodine, organic acids (malic and citric), mucus, pectin, glycosides.
Description of onions
Onions (or onion Onion) — Plants of the family name of Onion. Onion is one of the earliest vegetables cultivated by mankind. Motherland of onion is part of South West Asia, where more than four thousand years BC, it had eaten and used as a medicine. In Europe onions imported by the Romans, and pretty soon it spread across the continent.
Currently, onions belong to one of the important vegetable crops. The most significant role for onions in cooking. It is used in cheese, dried, boiled and fried, is also used as a seasoning for canned foods, added to various sauces, salads, soups, vegetable stews, as well as meat and fish. In the dried onion is used as an integral part of many spice mixtures.
Equally important is onions in medicine and cosmetology.
The composition of the bow
100g onions contain:
• Water — 86 g
• Protein — 1.7 g
• Carbohydrates — 10.5 g (including mono-and disaccharides — 9,2 g)
• Dietary fiber (fiber) — 0.8 g
• Pectin — 0.5 g
• Organic acid — 0.21 g
• Ash — 1,2 g
Vitamins in bulb onions:
• Vitamin B1 (thiamine) — 0.05 mg
• Vitamin B2 — 0.023 mg
• Niacin (vitamin B3) — 0.21 mg
• Folic acid (vitamins B9) — 9 micrograms
• Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) — 10mg
• Vitamin E (tocopherol) — 0.25 mg
Nutrients in bulb onions:
• Potassium — 170 mg
• Calcium — 30,5 mg
• Magnesium — 14,3 mg
• Sodium — 18 mg
• Phosphorus — 56 mg
Trace elements in bulb onions:
• Iron — 0.8 mg
• Cobalt — 5 mcg
• Manganese — 0.23 mg
• Copper — 85 mcg
• Fluoride — 30 mcg
• Zinc — 0.85 mg
100g onions, on average contains about 44 calories.
Useful properties of onion-known medicine since Hippocrates. Medicinal properties of the bow recognized by all nations. In Egypt, onions onion paying homage as a god. When Hippocrates prescribed onions patients with rheumatism, gout, and obesity. The famous Persian physician and scientist Ibn Sina (Avicenna) in the beginning of the XI century. wrote about the bow, "Edible onion is especially helpful on the bad water damage, if you throw it in the treatment of onions, it's a means of destroying her scent. The juice of onion is useful for contaminated wounds, lubricate the eyes squeezed onion juice with honey is useful from the walleye. The juice of onion helps otanginy. Edible onion because of its bitterness, strengthens a weak stomach and stimulates appetite. " In the East there was a saying: «Bow in your arms — held every disease.»
Onion stimulating the secretion of the glands, helps digestion, is a diuretic, wound healing, is an excellent preventive measure against influenza, colds, sore throats, coughs helps.
Onion is a good tool for vitamin, especially recommended in the winter-spring period, but used all year round. A significant amount of mineral salts in the bow when it is used in the food helps to normalize the metabolism in body, and a peculiar odor and pungent taste stimulate the appetite.
Onion is a popular cosmetic product in many countries around the world. Onion juice is recommended to lubricate the scalp with seborrhea, female baldness, to strengthen the hair roots. In this case the hair silky, soft and shiny and the skin is not scaly, dandruff is not formed. From the juice of onion fade freckles, taking into onion and onion mask (from a mixture of onion gruel with honey) prevents appearance of wrinkles, facial skin becomes fresher.
Finely chopped onions take on a spoon a few times, pressed juice from fresh bulbs are added to milk, gruel mixed with a bow and give this honey a mixture of children with colds, cook onion syrup, which was successfully used for colds, especially when coughing ( even whooping cough).
• Recipe for syrup from onion: finely chopped onion mixed with 3 tablespoons sugar, add 1/8 liter of water and gently boil it all 3 — 5 minutes, let stand for several hours and then squeeze. The resulting syrup to take 1-2 teaspoons 4-5 times a day.
• Recipe infusion of onion for the expulsion of round worms (Ascaris, pinworms): 1 medium onion minced, and pour in 1 cup of water overnight. Drink ½ cup onion infusion for 4 days or eat onions on an empty stomach.
• Recipe for cough drops of onion and raisins, 50 g of raisins, pour 200 ml boiling water, brew — 30 minutes. Slice the onion and squeeze out the juice. After 30 minutes of infusion of drained raisins, add the squeezed juice (3 tablespoons), and drink small sips at once, preferably at night.
• The recipe of fresh onion juice for colds: Mix it with honey (1:1) and take 1 tbsp 4-5 times a days. If you have a sore throat, drink juice 1 teaspoon 4-5 times a day. When cold, the flu can lubricate the mucous membranes of the nose obolchka fresh onion juice, or inhale through the nose for 2 3minut (especially effective in early disease). A child can be put in a saucer beside the bed when he sleeps.
• Recipe from boils and abscesses, if formed boils or abscesses should impose on them the bandage with warm gruel of grilled onions or plaster with a mixture of: grilled onions, grated soap (2-1). Change the bandage several times a day.
• The recipe for hair: take a few bulbs, making gruel, with a thin layer to put on his head. Hold for about 10 minutes, carefully remove the pulp, and wash your head.
• Recipe for removal of corns: onion peel, soaked for two weeks in the vinegar will eliminate the blisters. It must put a layer of 2-3 mm at night (the skin around the blisters pre-greased). In the morning, steam the leg, you can easily scrape mazol.
Side effects of onions. Some particularly sensitive people can not tolerate onions it in large quantities. Other troubles are not known.